An Overview of Text Neck Syndrome and How Chiropractic Can Help - 6/29/2021
If you are like the vast majority of people, you probably have a cell phone that you use on a regular basis. You send text messages, handle emails, and even watch the occasional program from time to time. On the other hand, did you know that your cell phone could be placing a lot of stress on your neck? That is where text neck syndrome could become an issue. How does text neck cause health problems? How can chiropractic care help someone who has been diagnosed with text neck?
Why Does a Cell Phone Place Stress on the Back and Neck?
The cell phone itself does not necessarily place stress on the back and neck. Instead, it is how people use their cell phones that is the issue. First, there is a severe neck angle between the user and the screen. How do you use your cell phone? There is a good chance you look down at the screen. If you crank your neck forward for several hours, this is going to place a significant amount of stress on the muscles in the neck, the ligaments, tendons, and the vertebrae in your spine.
In addition, the touchscreen may also bring your shoulders and head further forward. Because your head is a significant percentage of your body weight, this can place added stress on the muscles in your neck, leading to this syndrome.
How Does Text Neck Present?
If you suffer from text neck, there are a few symptoms that you may develop. These include:
· You may feel a mild ache in your neck or upper back that gets worse with time.
· Depending on the position of your neck, you may also feel shooting or stabbing pains.
· You may notice a hump in your lower neck or back because of poor posture.
· You may experience reduced flexibility and range of motion in your shoulders, upper back, and neck.
· You may experience numbness and tingling sensations in your arms and hands.
A lot of people with neck and back pain feel they require surgery. Fortunately, this is not always the case. A chiropractor can help.
How Can Chiropractic Care Help?
A chiropractor is a health expert when it comes to the treatment of neck and back issues. There are several ways a chiropractor can help someone suffering from this condition. They include:
· A chiropractor can conduct a complete physical exam that will include a full postural analysis, identifying the cause of the problem.
· A chiropractor can use adjustments to ship the vertebrae, ligaments, and tendons in the neck, placing the neck in the best position to recover.
· A chiropractor can also recommend lifestyle and exercise changes that can prevent text neck from coming back.
Once a chiropractor successfully treats text neck, he or she will also recommend that people raise the screen to eye level instead of looking down at the cell phone. This could prevent the symptoms from coming back in the future.
Rely on a Chiropractor for Text Neck Treatment
This is only a brief overview of how text neck may unfold. As people continue to use their cell phones, this syndrome is only going to become more common. Therefore, it is important for everyone to take care of their neck and spine by raising the cell phone to eye level instead of cranking their necks down and forward.
Of course, anyone who is experiencing pain in the neck or back should also reach out to a chiropractor for help. A chiropractor will be able to identify the root cause of the issue and treat it while minimizing complications and side effects.
If you would like to learn more about the benefits of chiropractic care and our office, click here.